Monday, October 3, 2016

Letter Illustration Statement




My Goal with this drawing was to mimic the shadows of the actual structure but have them carelessly fade into the paper in an almost messy way.

I accomplished this effect by layering heavy shading on the areas of the image where there was a shadow. I rubbed out the shading by rubbing the paper with a paper towel and also using my thumb.

My painting is mostly about texture and dramatic shadows.

The most difficult part of the drawing was arranging the light to get the most interesting shadows to draw.

I met the challenge by taking several photos of shadow arrangements I liked and choosing the best option.

My painting works best on the right side of the paper. This is because of the dramatic shadows that came from the sculpture of the letters U, S, and E.

Some things I've learned are that if you want a cleaner, sharper look, put a paper towel under your hand while you draw to prevent smudging the image.

A student in the class that I learned from was Angela Borean. I love how neat and clean she makes her images. She has a different technique of shading that i respect a lot.

If I could redo the illustration I would have chosen to draw the picture from an entirely different perspective. Preferably a perspective in which you can't even tell what the word is.

I feel best about my unique use of blending the shadows together.

No comments:

Post a Comment